Re: Synchronization Wizard weirdness

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:29:51 +0100

A Nice Guy wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm an old-time Informix DBA who has now switched over to Oracle. I've
> been learning the Oracle packages as I go.
>
> I have a Test Schema in the same database as the Main schema and need to
> synchronize Test with Main (all table & data mods).

And how did you implement this? Sorry to bother you, but the crystal ball is gift-wrapped.

> All seems to go well, until the script actually runs. The Impact Report
> only has warnings, but the Script fails.

What script? What error(s)?

> The problem: When the Sych script modifies a table, it renames the original
> table. *** But it doesn't rename or drop the indexes on the table *** so
> when it tries to recreate the index, the script fails because "an index with
> that name already exists in the database".

Change script? Should it fail on that?

> Any idea what to do about this??? I'll take any suggestion and test it.

Post the script.
Learn about materialized views, refresh on commit or refresh on demand.
Refresh full is the easiest, but hard on the iron, if your tables contain many records. No changes in the main schema required.
Fast refresh requires log tables on the main schema tables, that record just the changes. Only those changes are propagated to Test.

If you are on a recent version of Oracle (that's why you should post platform and version of Oracle) you might consider Streams instead of scripting

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...