Re: Find database objects in Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:30:06 -0800

Martijn Tonies wrote:

>>Hi Guys,
>>Thanks for your replies.  I want to insert a physician into a table.  I
>>have no idea where this table is located, the database is massive.  So
>>in SQL Server I would find the column name using the object browser.  I
>>would guess that the column has the string %phy% and it would return
>>all the tables that have a column with %phy% in it.  It is a very
>>powerful tool and I hoping it exists in Oracle.

> "want to insert..."
>
> "no idea where this table is located"
>
> "you would guess"
>

> Wouldn't it make more sense to actually get someone to explain the
> database to you before you start inserting data?

You mean guessing where it should go isn't a good idea? Well there goes the neighborhood.

Well the following might help:

SELECT table_name, column_name
FROM all_tab_columns
WHERE column_name LIKE '%PHY%';

But you are correct that the proper thing would be to ask as opposed to guess.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org