Re: Find database objects in Oracle

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:08:20 -0500

<ross.oneill_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1136472607.491744.165630_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi I want to find a field that holds the doctors name in a database. I
> want to do a wildcard search by field name like %doc% or %phy%. This
> is something I would do in SQL Server but I am not familiar with
> oracle. Can you search by field name in Oracle?

> Thanks
> Ross

[Quoted] write a query against data dictionary views USER_TAB_COLUMNS, ALL_TAB_COLUMNS, or DBA_TAB_COLUMNS (check out difference in scope in the Referene manual at http://tahiti.oracle.com) to find tables that contain the columns of interest

note that object and column names are stored in the data dictionary in upper case, unless the name was enclosed in "double quotes" when the object created

++ mcs Received on Thu Jan 05 2006 - 16:08:20 CET

Original text of this message