Re: Foxpro to Oracle migration

From: <baboehme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Sep 2005 13:31:46 -0700

[Quoted] You can use the FoxPro list or copy commands to dump the data to ascii text files, then use Oracle SQL*Loader (8i or earlier) or Oracle external tables (9i or later) to load them into your Oracle database, which would require carefully creating the new Oracle structures to match the old FoxPro structures. This takes a little time to set up, but runs quickly and is ideal for a few tables with many rows of data.

Or, you can use PL/SQL to read directly from the .dbf file and create tables of the same structure, using the code in the link from Tom Kyte's site below:
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:711825134415 You would need to apply the changes for FoxPro to the original code for DBASE, then perhaps add some additional modifications of your own to loop through a list of tables. This saves having to set up the data structures, but runs much slower than SQL*Loader on large data sets. These is ideal for many tables with few rows in each table.

Or, you can use ODBC:
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:13401716754850

Or, you can search the web and pay some money for some third party tool that will allow you to do it all through some GUI menu.

I have used SQL*Loader, external tables, and the PL/SQL method succesfully and which I preferred depended on the circumstances. I have not tried the others. You need to consider how many tables, how many rows per table, and whether this is a one-time thing or going to be done on a recurring basis. Sometmes it is easiest to use what you are most familliar with and that sounds like what you have been doing. But, if you are going to do a lot of this, then it is best to cut out the middle step involving MySQL and go directly from FoxPro to Oracle. I haven't used the Oracle Migration Workbench or Toolkit or whatever. Won't it allow you to go directly from FoxPro to Oracle? It has been a few years since I have worked with FoxPro, so converting FoxPro 2.6 for DOS may have been a lot easier than converting Visual FoxPro. Received on Tue Sep 13 2005 - 22:31:46 CEST

Original text of this message