Re: sql*plus limits user variable length to 240

From: <nekolim_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 Jul 2005 21:25:54 -0700

Hi,

[Quoted] Thank you very much for all the advises and help. I apologise for my tardiness in the posting as this is my first time sending a posting to a forum. It is also my first time working on ksh and Oracle so I'm not very clear on the terminalogy and filtering through the resources efficiently.

The various versions are
OS: SunOS 5.9 Generic 112233-11 Dec 2003 DB: Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.5.0 - 64bit SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.5.0
PL/SQL: Release 9.2.0.5.0

The error I got is
"string beginning "'M123456 Y..." is too long. maximum size is 239 characters."
("'M123456 Y..." being the beginning of my very long parameter input.)

I read from http://www.etse.urv.es/DEI/informacio/Base_dades/a53717.pdf (under SQL*Plus Limits) that user variable value length is 240 char.

My korn script executes a sqlplus command with a sql script. Info below:
<part of ksh>

sqlplus -s $LOGIN _at_$SCRIPTDIR/sp_batch.sql $line $rownumber

<part of sp_batch.sql>

exec Sp_Batch ('&1', &2);

And finally, my stored procedure looks like this: CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE Sp_Batch (

p_dataline       IN VARCHAR2,
row_count         NUMBER

) IS

I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right direction to tackle this issue. I noticed other SQL*Plus limitations such as LINESIZE which are system dependent. I'm googling for more info.

Thanks once again for all your help and time. I hope you can point me in the right direction. Received on Tue Jul 05 2005 - 06:25:54 CEST

Original text of this message