Re: Code in the database or middle tier (the CLR controversy)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:10:07 -0700

William Stacey [MVP] wrote:

>>So no I am not worried about them writing bad code so much as them
>>creating tables and making design decisions such as whether to write
>>triggers, or natural vs surrogate key decisions.

> This is what I don't understand. None of that changes. You still have
> security (even more) to limit what people can and can not do. SqlClr does
> not change that. If I can create a proc today, I have the option to create
> a clr proc. I still need to use TSQL to get access to the data. I just
> have a framework available to me to do other logic if I need it. It is
> actually a wrapper. A ~normal sp is created that calls my clr proc. Anyone
> can still say no. So I am still lost on what your issue is.

We are beating a dead horse here so seriously consider letting this thread die. But please read the following paragraph. It is my point.

>>Once again ... and this is just my read on it ... in Oracle, DB2,
>>Informix, and Sybase there is a cadre of IT professionals called DBAs,
>>that have a culture to defend the integrity of the database. In the
>>SQL Server world I do not see those with the same job having the
>>culture or training required to "just say no."

[Quoted] My point is not one language versus another which is what you and Serge seem to assume. It is about the professionals wielding the tools and their competence to use the tools properly.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org