Re: Code in the database or middle tier (the CLR controversy)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 07:51:45 -0700

[Quoted] William Stacey [MVP] wrote:
> But your talking design now. That has nothing to do with SQLCLR
> integration. I don't see the DB design process changing just because of
> SQLCLR. You will still have DBAs/ DB architects doing that work (or
> should). The app guys are still going to be the app guys. You need both.
> So nothing has changed in that regard.

[Quoted] Sorry if I wasn't clear before but I thought I brought this up.

In a DB2 or Oracle environment development will be primarily in SQL even if other languages are allowed inside the database. In Oracle JAVA will not replace PL/SQL. In DB2 allowing VB in will have a negligible effect.

But my read of the SQL Server market is that VB, C#, etc. is intended to open the door for non-database developers to begin doing inside-the-database development. In other words ... to expand the market. And that the proximate result will be those unqualified doing design work. I know I previously used the phrase "blurring the lines" in this regard.

[Quoted] So no I am not worried about them writing bad code so much as them creating tables and making design decisions such as whether to write triggers, or natural vs surrogate key decisions.

[Quoted] Once again ... and this is just my read on it ... in Oracle, DB2, Informix, and Sybase there is a cadre of IT professionals called DBAs, that have a culture to defend the integrity of the database. In the SQL Server world I do not see those with the same job having the culture or training required to "just say no."

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org