Re: Code in the database or middle tier (the CLR controversy)

From: Erland Sommarskog <esquel_at_sommarskog.se>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:01:59 +0000 (UTC)

DA Morgan (damorgan_at_psoug.org) writes:
> What I am saying is that you are more likely to get good database code
> from people that know databases than you are from people that know VB.
> And to think that those coding in VB know databases at more than a
> superficial level is just not realistic.
>
> What we are seeing, in practical terms, is the death of T-SQL rather
> than an effort, by Microsoft, to fix it. Inviting more cooks into the
> kitchen may sell more frying pans. But it does not improve the quality
> of the food being prepared.

[Quoted] Huh? This simply does not make any sense at all. What is Microsoft supposed to fix? T-SQL is by no means dead. There are significant improvments to T-SQL in SQL 2005.

[Quoted] OK, some people who speak Visual Basic as their first language, also write some SQL statements, and these may be of inferior quality. I don't know about systems that uses Oracle as DBMS, but I cannot see why the same thing could happen there. Maybe traditions are different, but that is not inherit in the product.

[Quoted] Another things to consider is that many today do not write stored procedure, but send their SQL statements from the client. If they move that code into the server, there is at least some improvement in terms fewer network roundtrips, although it might still be a poor design.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel_at_sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at