Re: I'm seeking for OCP certification

From: Lewis C <lewisc_at_excite.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:02:19 GMT

On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:11:44 -0700, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:

>Lewis C wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 11 May 2005 08:16:01 -0700, DA Morgan
>> <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>>

>>>If Oracle Corp. wants certification to have value then they need to
>>>make the certification mean something other than a source of revenue.
>>

>> Could you elaborate on your thought? What would they need to do? I
>> agree the whole classroom instructor led training is just to get them
>> a quick $2500.
>>
>> Lewis
>
>Quite simply ...
>
>1. Have an exam where the questions make sense and are clearly written.
>2. Have an exam where the answers are technically correct.
>3. Have a pass criteria that is in the 90+% range.
>4. Not allow anyone to pass that is not ALSO technically competent.
>5. Not allow any for-profit corporation to sell the answers (by lawsuit)
>6. Make passing the test a function of actual hands-on testing in SQL*Plus.

 I wouldn't compare a DBA or developer to a surgeon or any other [Quoted] medical profession. Very few DBAs have a job that could kill someone. [Quoted] Or that will make a building or a bridge fall down, for that matter. Other than that, I mostly agree.

[Quoted] On 1 and 2: For Oracle's test from Thompson, I found the questions to be fairly well written and technically correct. There were a few that could interpreted different ways. I really think they try to do a good job on this. The tests go through a beta period and they are updated over time.

[Quoted] On 3: I completely agree. At least a C level. What's that, 85%?

[Quoted] On 4: I'm not sure how that would be tested. Also, there should a progression. Drop OCA, OCP and OCM and switch to Junior level cert, senior cert, journeyman, etc. Have a baseline test and then make it harder and longer for higher levels.

[Quoted] On 5: I didn't know that occurred. Does Oracle sell the answers?

[Quoted] And on 6: Prohibitively expensive to grade.

[Quoted] You come from academia so I think your viewpoint on expense will probably be different than mine. I don't think a certification should be unattainable for most people, and that includes the cost. Not just the cost of the test (and I think $125 is very fair) but also the costs of training material. I do think someone should have a few years before they can be designated senior. I don't think they should have to pay $2500.

Thanks,

Lewis

Lewis R Cunningham

Author, ItToolBox Blog: An Expert's Guide to Oracle http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/oracle/guide/