Re: I'm seeking for OCP certification

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 16:11:44 -0700

Lewis C wrote:

> On Wed, 11 May 2005 08:16:01 -0700, DA Morgan
> <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>>If Oracle Corp. wants certification to have value then they need to
>>make the certification mean something other than a source of revenue.

> Could you elaborate on your thought? What would they need to do? I
> agree the whole classroom instructor led training is just to get them
> a quick $2500.
>
> Lewis

Quite simply ...

    [Quoted]
  1. Have an exam where the questions make sense and are clearly written.
  2. Have an exam where the answers are technically correct.
  3. Have a pass criteria that is in the 90+% range.
  4. Not allow anyone to pass that is not ALSO technically competent.
  5. Not allow any for-profit corporation to sell the answers (by lawsuit)
  6. Make passing the test a function of actual hands-on testing in SQL*Plus.

How would you feel in a hospital if the anesthesiologist attending your surgery were certified by a multiple choice test where 70% was considered adequate to pass? How about the pilot on your next airplane flight? Your attorney? Your CPA? An engineer designing a bridge or your house? Your dentist?

My point being in no other profession is certification a blood joke designed as a way to generate revenue as opposed to being a methodology for ascertaining competence.

I have real-world experience working with medical board and their certification methodologies. Thus the number of incompetent surgeons in the US, and I'm sure it is the same in other countries, is very small. Compare that to the number of grossly incompetent people taking home paychecks as Oracle DBAs and developers with an OCP.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington