Re: I'm seeking for OCP certification

From: Giovanni Azua <bravegag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 02:04:42 +0100

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote
[Quoted] > Quite simply ...

> 1. Have an exam where the questions make sense and are clearly written.
> 2. Have an exam where the answers are technically correct.
> 3. Have a pass criteria that is in the 90+% range.
> 4. Not allow anyone to pass that is not ALSO technically competent.
> 5. Not allow any for-profit corporation to sell the answers (by lawsuit)
> 6. Make passing the test a function of actual hands-on testing in
> SQL*Plus.
>
> How would you feel in a hospital if the anesthesiologist attending your
> surgery were certified by a multiple choice test where 70% was
> considered adequate to pass? How about the pilot on your next airplane
> flight? Your attorney? Your CPA? An engineer designing a bridge or your
> house? Your dentist?
>
> My point being in no other profession is certification a blood joke
> designed as a way to generate revenue as opposed to being a methodology
> for ascertaining competence.
>
> I have real-world experience working with medical board and their
> certification methodologies. Thus the number of incompetent surgeons in
> the US, and I'm sure it is the same in other countries, is very small.
> Compare that to the number of grossly incompetent people taking home
> paychecks as Oracle DBAs and developers with an OCP.
> --
That, Mr. DA Morgan, was an answer! I agree with you 100% :-)

I think that in general the IT world is infected of this disease, not only industry
certifications but it happens also with some Universities, I see this every day ... the exams are the crappiest, everyone passes, even if you are totally
drunk you can't fail it and I am talking about very respectful Univ. in Europe (not
including UK, UK is a different story) ...

Best Regards,
Giovanni Received on Fri May 13 2005 - 03:04:42 CEST

Original text of this message