JDBC Navigator: yet another database browser/editor

From: <thomas_okken_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Apr 2005 16:27:24 -0700

Hi all,

Over the past few years, I have written a Java/JDBC-based database browser/editor. It won't put TOAD and its ilk out of business, but it does offer some pretty neat features for people who need a tool that will help them manipulate table data (as opposed to tools that are geared toward dealing with table structure and other DBA tasks). JDBC Navigator allows edits to related tables, and can commit them even when committing each table individually would lead to constraint violations; it can generate SQL scripts that transform one set of tables into another version ("diff"-like functionality), and it has an embedded JavaScript interpreter that lets you automate repetitive tasks.
It could use with more spit and polish and a decent manual, but then again, it's free. I wrote it to help me with my work, which often involves having to understand and manipulate data in complex, highly normalized, poorly documented schemas -- I'm now putting it "out there" in case someone else finds it as useful as I have. JDBC Navigator was developed and tested with Oracle and PostgreSQL. In theory, it could work with other RDBMSes as well, but given the quirks of many JDBC drivers, that remains to be seen... I am planning to support MySQL later this year, at least. Oh, yes, and it is free. :-)
http://home.planet.nl/~demun000/thomas_projects/jdbcnav/

  • Thomas