Re: Newbie to Oracle

From: Petr <ecotaj_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2005 10:55:28 -0700

Amazingly arrogant for a reply. However all the suggestions provided are valid.

I have been in your exact shoes with 9iAS. It is important to follow Oracle's testing paths as closely as possible. I can send you two separate documents that I have received from Oracle in setting up your environment.

Some lessons I learnt:

  1. Move to 10gAS. It is much much cleaner. [Quoted]
  2. DO NOT mix and match, as one poster here suggests. Follow the deployment path Oracle suggests. i.e. install ALL tiers on one machine. I tried installing in OFA spirit, but failed miserably and gave up. When tried exactly as Oracle docs suggest, it works :-(
  3. Give yourself gobs of time and patience. Have that machine with you all times so you can work on it (e.g. on a laptop) late at night in your hotel room.
  4. Have enough memory in that machine. At least 1GB would be preferred. More is better.

Oracle often releases software prematurely, hence they get it right in every alternate version. If it doesn't work, try the next version :-) Received on Tue Apr 19 2005 - 19:55:28 CEST

Original text of this message