Re: Newbie to Oracle

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:19:26 GMT

Oh Jeez - I missed the App Server part. Thanks to IANAL_Vista, with whom I agree, and to whose post I add 'try to move up to App Server 10g as soon as possible' as the changes are very significant. It's MUCH less expensive to administer, and (more importantly) it works.

While much of my commentary is still relevant, consider the following changes:

  1. 'Oracle App Server Essentials', Not 'Oracle Essentials' from O'Reilly.
  2. "Concepts" and "Administrator's Guide", not "DB Administrator's" see http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10464_05/nav/docindex.htm for the 10g version.
  3. AS10g Editions are Java, Standard and Enterprise. Look at the table at http://www.oracle.com/appserver/appserver_family.html to decipher the differences from a high level.

Mix and match in your environment as appropriate: contrary to popular belief it is not necessary to have Enterprise Edition for all CPUs in an environment. (For example, it is quite correct to have only Java edition on machines that will only run J2EE servers.)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com