Re: accessing an oracle 7.3 server with linux box?

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:42:11 -0600

Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com> wrote:

>Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:27:04 -0900, joeblow <dadude_at_casselout.dk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>We have an oracle 7.3 database that has historical data on it. It will
>>> stay a 7.3 database until it's decommissioned, probably well after I'm
>>> gone, if then.
>>>
>>>What's the easiest/quickest way to access that database with a client on a
>>>linux box?
>>
>>Go to the 7.3 server, export the database, import it in any higher
>>version database (minimum 9ir2) and dump the database.
>>
>>7.3 has been desupported in the previous century, and there has never
>>been any 7.3 software for Linux.
>
>In spite of that, you can install any Pre--9.2 client that is still out there for Linux and connect quite happily to the 7.3
>database.

In addition companies like DataDirect may offer Thin Client ( wire protocol) drivers that do not even need an Oracle client on the Linux machine..( Connects directly to the Oracle listener using the java-like connection string server:port:SID ) Received on Fri Mar 04 2005 - 20:42:11 CET

Original text of this message