Re: There are no Oracle gurus!

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:50:08 -0800

sky_diver__at_excite.com wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>Based on the questions you've asked you might want to seriously

> consider

[Quoted] >>giving this project to someone else.

> This is not an answer to the question. In fact none of the respondants
> bothered to answer the OPs question.
>
> Oracle schmucks consistantly tell others that they shouldn't try to
> learn Oracle. That Oracle is too difficult and that they should hire
> an Oracle DBA.
>
> So I've come to the conclusion that either
> (A) There are no Oracle gurus.
> or
> (B) Oracle gurus score very low at reading comprehension.
> Bottom line is... DON'T POST UNLESS YOU CAN ANSWER THE QUESTION!

[Quoted] [Quoted] So why didn't you provide the helping hand instead of criticizing my response? Reminds me very much of a few of my favorite quotes:

Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.   ~ Brendan Behan

Any fool can criticise - and many of them do.   ~ Cyril Garbett

A critic's symbol should be the tumble-bug: he deposits his eggs in somebody else's dung, otherwise he could not hatch it.   ~ Mark Twain

But having now vented my fury I will give you a more appropriate response.

[Quoted] It would be unethical in many situations to help someone. That might be because they are cheating on school work, it might be because they are perceived as being dangerous. It would be totally irresponsible for me, or anyone else here, to advise someone on how to break into a system or how to recover from a service loss where the OP's inability to follow the directions, or appreciate nuances, might cause more harm than good.

Being responsible means that when someone asks how to properly sight in their rifle you make sure it isn't aimed at someone else's head.

Our perception was clearly that trying to help this person was not the responsible thing to do.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington