Re: Oracle on Windows Server Vs Xp-Pro

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:38:53 GMT

[Quoted] [Quoted] "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:41c99e08$0$4537$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au... [snip]

> >> You'll know already, of course, that workstation-class MS operating
> >> systems only permit 10 concurrent users to access the machine from
> >> other workstations. Your anticipated load of 8 is already perilously
> >> close to that, and the Server O/S might be justified on those grounds
> >> alone -plenty more growth room. Besides which, you need to be careful
> >> that workstations don't do unintended 'silent' cross-connections,
> >> which steal from your number of permitted connections.
> >
> > I didn't know of this limit. Is this a licensing limit, performance
> > limit or a limitation enforced by the MS software? I have departments
> > with 14 Oracle "named users" and they all connect to the server every
> > day, even though only 2-4 may be using the application. The nature of
> > this department is such that they interact with the database only a few
> > times every hour, so the effective load on the database is negligable.
> > However, I have never had a problem with people connecting to the
> > 'server' (Win-NT 4.0 workstation)

[Quoted] I was well aware of the PC to PC limit of 10 but was nearly certain that I [Quoted] had been able to connect more than 10 Oracle clients to a system running W2K [Quoted] (not server). Are you certain that the limitation would stop connections to [Quoted] Oracle? Please pardon me if I appear to be argumentative. This is an important matter for a project that I am engaged in currently, but am not set up to test at the moment.