Re: Oracle Lable Security and Oracle Warehouse Builder

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 02:30:39 GMT

Marc A. Lefebvre US-775 wrote:

> Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message
>> Marc A. Lefebvre US-775 wrote:
>>
>> > Is there anyway to implement and/or manage OLS from within OWB? I am
>> > currently running 9iR2? If it's not supported in 9iR2 is it supported
>> > in 10g?
>> >

>> Please explain in a bit more detail what you are trying to accomplish.
>
> Well, I have a datawarehouse that I currently manage with OWB. And
> through this datawarehouse, I ETL data into a datamart that has a Star
> Schema. There is currently no Oracle Lable Security on the datamart
> and I have been asked to implement this. so, I am wondering if it can
> be accomplished through Oracle Warehouse Builder, or do I have to
> create scripts outside of the tool to setup and manage OLS.
>
> Specifically, I need to enable OLS on the datamart so that the
> predicate WILL be appended on each query. I need to create the
> security groups and levels and the table that this will reside in. I
> need to configure OLS so that it will check the table for the access
> levels. I also need to modify the tables so that they will have the
> security fields.
>
> I hope this helps in understanding what I am asking. Sorry about the
> crosspost, I usually do that if I am not sure which group the inquery
> belongs.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc

The OLS and the OWB/ETL capabilities are totaly independant of each other. That said, OLS generally creates a predicate that uses a simple column lookup and OWB can be used to fill that column.

The magic behind OLS is that the policies do not have to be written - that's discussed in the documentation I mentioned as well as the papers Pete Finnigan mentioned.

So first step will be to enable OLS (see the docco), followed by using OWB to transform and data fill to meet the policies.

HTH
/Hans Received on Fri Sep 24 2004 - 04:30:39 CEST

Original text of this message