Re: Question about Oracle Developer Application and Application Server

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 20:42:09 -0700

Hans Forbrich wrote:

> Krist wrote:
>

>>Hi Daniel/Hans,
>>

>>>You _may_ need to purchase the IAS Java Edition to legally deploy
>>>standalone.
>>
>>Is IAS Java Edition enough ??
>>I read in oracle website, the features : 'Oracle Application Server
>>Reports Services' and 'Oracle Application Server Forms Services' ONLY
>>available in Enterprise Edition.
>>
>>Thank you,
>>Krist
>>

> My take is "NO, IAS Java Edition is not enough for a complete and legal
> config". (If I am wrong, I'd appreciate proof using links/pointers.) But
> you might be able to use Java Edition to lower your total cost.
>
> If you look at the diagram on page 14 of
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/forms/pdf/forms904TechnicalOverview.pdf
> you will see that Forms Services consists of a http server, a servlet and
> the forms 'runtime' f90web engine.
>
> So technically you 'only' need the the f90web engine and a J2EE Container
> servlet engine an http server and an access path between the http server
> and the servlet engine.
>
> Theoretically Oracle App Server Java Edition (AS-JE) provides the http
> server, the access path (mod_oc4j) and the J2EE container (OC4J).
> Therefore the only thing you need to find is a f90web Forms runtime server.
> AFAIK, f90web is only bundled in the Forms portion of Developer Suite and
> in the App Server Enterprise Edition (AS-EE).
>
> So if I wanted a legal minimum-price config in a multi-server environment, I
> would investigate the CPU-based mix of Oracle AS-EE for the back-end Forms
> 'server' and Oracle AS-JE for access necessary for my load.
>

> /Hans

[Quoted] At least in term so of licensing I have worked out Java Edition is [Quoted] sufficient. But I also have it from a source I consider reliable that [Quoted] any App Server that supports Java Containers can also be used without violating Oracle's license.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu