Re: Oracle Forms 6i - Dynamically manipulation of List Elements...but how?

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:18:20 +0200

"Slarti" <1012-873_at_gmx.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ccb8e3b6.0408040601.4b72970f_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> i have to customize some forms modules. And no idea how to handle this
> case.
>
> All right, what happens:
>
> 1. WHEN_NEW_FORM_INSTANCE triggers creates a new Record Group
> (CREATE_GROUP_FROM_QUERY) and populate it (POPULATE_GROUP) from
> database. Shortly after the designated List Item is populated
> (POPULATE_LIST) based on the Record Group
> => Now we have a List Item with following values "A, B, G, N"
>
> 2. Assume something special happens, whatever. Then List value 'G' is
> not needed and must be "disabled"
> => LOV still owns values "A, B, N"
>
> 3. After the business transaction succeeds or fails, a new transaction
> can be started in this form (so it's not needes to leave or restart
> it)
> => LOV must have its old database values "A, B, G, N"
>
> What is the best way to handle this situation?
> Any idea?
>
> I tried DELETE_LIST_ITEM, but do not know how to get the list value
> index dynamically, because i only know the value "G" but not the index
> when it is populated from database.

Uhm, AFAIK, LOVs and List Items are *not the same*, they are completely different objects:

A List Item is an item that is normally visible all the time on the canvas. A LOV is only popping up with SHOW_LOV or F9, showing a mask to choose a value from it, and when chosen, the LOV disappears and may return values into some items.

So: do You have LOVs *or* List Items *or* both as a mixture ? A tip about List Items: AFAIK they cannot be *re*populated (if You have a chain of dependend List Items e.g.), so if the selection of LI1 determines what should be populated in LI2 and so on,
it does not work - so I use a chain of LOVs instead in that case.

Oh, BTW: what version do You use :) ?
It maybe fixed with DS10g, but I donīt know ...

HTH, Jan Received on Thu Aug 05 2004 - 12:18:20 CEST

Original text of this message