Re: difference between SQl*plus and Sql*plus worksheet !?

From: Open Wound <openwound5000_at_aol.com>
Date: 27 Jun 2004 20:51:14 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1088369505.825767_at_yasure>...
> Inki wrote:
>
> > Thanks daniel.
> >
> > I have Windows at the moment, trying out Toad.
> > If I use notepad, do you mean that I should compile my procedure from the
> > command line ?
> > If I do write a block in notepad, let say the following:
> > begin
> > dbms_output.put_line('hello');
> > end;
> >
> > How do I execute this block ?
> > seen in my help -> Contact your Oracle DBA to make sure the DBMS_OUTPUT
> > package is enabled on your database.
> > Should I add this somewhere from the 'Oracle enterprise manager' ?
> >
> > regards, i
>
> SQL> set serveroutput on
>
> SQL> begin dbms_output.put_line('hello');
>
> Nothing more is required.
>
> Write in notepad and execute at the SQL*Plus command line if the point
> is to learn what you are doing. Painful at first I will grant you but
> far more valuable long-term. There are no GUI tools on Solaris, HP/UX,
> AIX, etc. for debugging PL/SQL.

Some "experts" give poor advice to newcomers because they don't want more people entering their field and competing for their jobs. I am assuming this isn't true in your case - you are probably just ignorant.

Back to the subject. JDeveloper is a fine tool for editing and debugging PL/SQL. It works on Windows, Linux, Solaris and HP-UX.

   http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/jdev/index.html Received on Mon Jun 28 2004 - 05:51:14 CEST

Original text of this message