Re: STARTUP Instance with (s)pfile -> invalid character

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_JUNKTHISBIT.Bountiful.Demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:06:29 +0100

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:31:50 +0200, Joachim Hofmann <speicher_at_freenet.de> wrote:

>Romeo Olympia wrote:
>>
>> Seems to me that you're trying to start the instance by specifying a
>> spfile (SPFILEZWEITEDB.ORA) in a pfile parameter. Doesn't work that
>> way.
>
>> Or by a server parameter file.
>> STARTUP
>>

>Yes, thanks.
>
>How does Oracle know where to look for the server parameter file?
>
>Joachim

Morning,

the SPFILE is found on Unix in :

        $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/spfileSID.ora

then

        $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/spfile.ora

On Windows it is :

        %ORACLE_HOME%\database\spfileSID.ora

then

        %ORACLE_HOME%\database\spfile.ora

If STARTUP cannot find one of the above, it will drop down to a PFILE called initSID.ora in the appropriate place. See note 16249.1 for all the gory details.

You cannot specify a STARTUP SPFILE=, so what you do is this :

create a PFILE which has SPFILE='blah blah' as the only entry then startup using that.

Cheers,
Norman.

Remove the obvious bit to reply to my email address. Received on Wed Jun 23 2004 - 13:06:29 CEST

Original text of this message