Re: Import Designer 2000 Web PLSQLs into Designer 9i

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:06:36 +0200

jhking wrote:

> Frank van Bortel wrote:
>

>> Jason King wrote:

[Quoted] >> Nonsense, you can reverse engineer any PL/SQL in designer....

>> It's just a pity you will not have any relations, code reusability,
>> etc, what could have been inside the previous repository.
>> Don't you have a backup, or application export lying around
>> somewhere?
>> Would be a tremendous help.
>>
>> If not - you're faced with the problem of distinguishing
>> Designer added (transactional/referential) code from the actual
>> application code.
>> Not a nice task, as one of the long standing
>> bugs has been the size of Designer generated packages and procedures
>> being too large for SQLplus to execute...

> Assuming we have mod$ mod$comp and mod$js$comp for a simple
> one-component web pl/sql module you can indeed reverse engineer the 3
> packages back, but they're just pl/sql code. There is no automated way
> to turn them back into a designer module and module component and use
> Designer to change, say, query criteria and regenerate. I believe that
> was the OPs question.
> For Developer modules I gather there is some ability to reverse engineer
> them back into modules, but as I've never worked on Developer modules I
> don't know how well that works.

As I said.
And there is no mention of developer modules in the OP's post, just revere engineering. Which indeed cannot be done, and engineering from the 'raw' pl/sql code is a pita.
As I tried to make clear

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel