Moving from Delphi to Visual Studio. Smart move??

From: Gijsie <gijs.de.wolff_at_beheervisie_.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:18:13 +0200

Hi,

[Quoted] [Quoted] We are a small company (2 developers, 6 other people) and develop "out of the box" applications for local government. Our databaseplatform is Oracle. We will stick with Oracle since all out customers will stick with Oracle. We develop in Borland Delphi (with DOA-components) and in Borland JBuilder (with JDBC). We are now considering to change our main development platform from Delphi to Microsoft Visual Studio.

Things that worry me:
[Quoted] Does Visual Studio always asume you are working with MSSQL. [Quoted] Will we have to use ODBC.
[Quoted] Can you keep deploying simple. (I want to have one exe that can run from a CD)

[Quoted] Can anyone please share their experience with developing in Visual Studio towards Oracle databases. And what version (Professional, Enterprise or Architect) do you recommend. And should I worry about totally different things?

Thx
Gijs de Wolff
Beheervisie b.v. Received on Fri May 28 2004 - 09:18:13 CEST

Original text of this message