Forms6i and search path for icons

From: Rolf Unger <rolf.unger_at_ctilabs.de>
Date: 17 Mar 2004 12:31:52 -0800

Hi,

[Quoted] [Quoted] just trying to migrate from Forms5.0 to Forms6i ... [some curses] ...

Why is it such a pain to get the paths straight? The installer doesn't set any "Forms60_path" in the registry (okay, guess this is the right place to mention that I'm running on win2k). Neither the topics "Forms_path" nor "search_path" are listed as index in the online help.

I knew from the previous version, that I need to set FORMS50_PATH, so I can only guess that it is FORMS60 this time. Somewhere in the docu I found a passus saying that the forms builder (or the runtime) would first search in the current working directory and then in the directories defined in FORMS60_PATH and ORACLE_PATH. Seems that this applies only to library modules.

For Forms50 I had to set a TK25_ICON variable in the registry or in the environment. As I see a TK60 my guess is to add a TK60_ICON with the needed paths. No success! Neither in the Builder nor in the runtime I can see my icons.

I browse through the manual again and find a note that the bitmapped icons on MS Windows are searched in UI60_ICON. Well, probably nobody understood why the previous variable was labeled "TK25 ...", it did not seem to have any relation to the Tcl/Tk toolkit.

But it's still not working! No icons in the menubar, and no icons on my user defined push buttons in the forms itself. Again not in the builder and not in the runtime!

Why do they have an extra paragraph on new features and upgrading to Forms 6i where they proudly state that everyone can use PL/SQL 8 now? I did this in the previous version already, of course I had to run it on the V.8 database in a stored package. But Oracle seems to be unable to provide a upgrade guide, that reaches a minimum of usability!

I'm probably not the first one to bump into this upgrading problems. Is there any FAQ or something similar? I guess not from Oracle, but maybe from someone independent?

Thanks, Rolf. Received on Wed Mar 17 2004 - 21:31:52 CET

Original text of this message