Re: Snapshot too old but UNDO_RETENTION very high

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 12:22:17 -0800

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:03:29 -0800, "DBA Infopower Support"
> <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote:

[Quoted] >>      Frequent commits would greatly reduce probability of ORA-1555, since
>>consistent data required by transaction would have much less chance to be
>>lost in rollback segments.

> You are just plain and utterly wrong, andapparently you don't know at
> all how the rollback mechanism works.
> Please read up on the causes of ora-1555 and apologize in this forum
> for your misguided advice.
> As far as your assesment of Metalink: I don't think you know what you
> are talking about, you are just trying to put people sand in their
> eyes. The causes for ora-1555 are well known, and they are published,
> apart from that, Metalink is currently staffed by trained monkeys
> providing similar answers like you do.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

While not choosing to use Sybrand's verbiage I am in complete agreement. Advise to have more frequent commits flies in the face of the root cause of ORA-01555 and goes against the advise of every Oracle expert I can name ... including Tom Kyte. More frequent commits is pure lunacy as the problem is probably being caused by too-frequent commits as it is.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu