Re: Oracle Forms vs Visual Studio .Net

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:54:18 -0000

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
Audit Commission UK
Please include version and platform
and SQL where applicable
It makes life easier and increases the
likelihood of a good answer
"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message

> Comments in-line.
>
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>
> > "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
> >
> >>I've read Andrew and Jeff's responses and want to give you some
> >>additional arguments in favor of Oracle Forms.
> >

> >>4. Far superior security to .NET
> >

> >>5. Far tighter integration than .NET
> >

> > How well is forms integrated with the application server (IIS/COM+) that
> > will be in use here?
>
> Don't recall anything about IIS/COM+: Perhaps my mistake. My
> recollection was whether iAS is required and it is not.
<quote> We have Oracle 8 database in a AIX unix box (plan to upgrade to 9i in future), MS SQL Server and MS IIS. We do not run any Java web server or have any java programs. Mostly VB and ASP stuff. </quote>

> >>6. Far more sensible approach if using the database for anything other
> >>than columns and rows.
> >

> > I don't think that I understand?
>
> Microsoft often does not support newer abilities in Oracle. So your
> ability to work with some data types (especially UDT), functions, etc.
> may not be supported as completely.
Fair enough, though if the Oracle Data Provider for .Net doesn't support them I'd be bugging Oracle not MS. I'm not a fan of using ms providers to access 3rd party db platforms.
> >>7. Platform independence
> >

> > but this already is an MS shop. Isn't this argument a bit of a red
herring?

> An MS shop meaning they don't have and wish to limit themselves from
> ever having any other technology? Basically ... if I understand your
> argument, preclude yourself from ever moving to Linux because you will
> have too big an investment in a single vendor's technology.
Choosing heterogeneous operating systems and skillsets is a strategic decision. It might be a correct decision, but my take on the request was that we were commenting on which of Forms or .Net was more appropriate for this application in this organisation. to be honest given what was said about where they were coming from I'd be more concerned about wether Oracle was the right choice than Forms v .Net
> Beats H out of JDeveloper? Can you get anything you build to fail-over
> on RAC? With JDeveloper fail-over is just a Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V away if you
> grab the TAF demo from otn.
I don't know, but I suspect that you can. On the other hand given that the number of customers Oracle has on RAC is in the 'hundreds' according to Larry in his 10g presentation, for the most part RAC is just an irrelevance. I suspect TAF is even more so since there is no requirement to rewrite apps for TAF so I'd be sceptical if there were more than say 150 TAF enabled production apps in the world. I'm sure if there are someone from Oracle will jump in.
Don't know if I'm always reasonable but sure we have different opinions on this. -- Niall Litchfield Oracle DBA Audit Commission UK ***************************************** Please include version and platform and SQL where applicable It makes life easier and increases the likelihood of a good answer ******************************************