Re: GUI-Tool for administration

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 07:45:48 -0800

drew wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1074191169.847209@yasure>...
>

>>Jan Richartz wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
[Quoted] >>>I'm searching a graphical tool for database administration that's able to
>>>give me the possibility to create queries in a way like in MS Access without
[Quoted] >>>hacking SQL-commands myself.
>>>Does anyone know which tools are available on the market?
>>>Thanks in advance,
>>>Jan
>>
>>They are undoubtedly out there but as an educator I am intrigued by
>>why you would prefer a tools that would keep you from learning the
>>skills that will make you more valuable as an employee and more
>>employable in the future.
>>
>>You should be begging for the oppportunity to put away children's toys
>>and work in SQL*Plus.
>>
>>No pain ... no gain.

> Dear Daniel.
> When I read a couple of your answers, and just curious why you always
> trying to teach people like a Big Dad ?
> That group is not your private place, even you are moderating it and
> someone is not your student.
>
> What I am trying to say is – just answer a question, otherwise this
> will be off topic too, because noone interesting why that person
> asking, just what the question is and what is a right answer.
>
> For example, Tom Kyte always respect people, even the person is
> stupid.
>
> Sorry, if you feel this like a flame, because it is not - I am very
> respect you.

I stated an opinion. If you don't like the opinion that's fine. But it is my opinion and it is here for consideration. Nothing more ... nothing less.

The one thing you should know is that there are very few organizations that will hire someone that doesn't know syntax. Not once in an interview have I, or anyone I know, ever asked a candidate to walk up to a whiteboard and demonstrate how they use a GUI tool. On the other hand I have terminated interviews rather abruptly with people that couln't write an outer join, a correlated subquery, or use a set operator.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)