Re: Oracle Forms vs Visual Studio .Net

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 07:42:02 -0800

John Smith wrote:
> I need to make decision on which development tool to use: Oracle Forms or
> Visual Studio .Net. I am new to Oracle and hope those who have gone the
> decision path could advise the pros and cons. We have Oracle 8 database in a
> AIX unix box (plan to upgrade to 9i in future), MS SQL Server and MS IIS. We
> do not run any Java web server or have any java programs. Mostly VB and ASP
> stuff.
>
> If I use Oracle Forms for form-based app and web-based app, then I would
> need the resource and skill to run Oracle AS right?
>
> Will there be any issues or problems I might faced if we standadised on .NET
> and Visual Studio as platform and development tool and Oracle as the
> database? Are there any company doing this?
>
> Thanks
> regards

[Quoted] I've read Andrew and Jeff's responses and want to give you some additional arguments in favor of Oracle Forms.

    [Quoted]
  1. Everybody is leaning .NET. When pretty much everyone knows something competition for jobs becomes more difficult and the salary goes down. There is just more money is being a Fprms expert. [Quoted]
  2. Jeff states that Forms 9i requires the 9iAS app server which is a pain to install and configure: He is incorrect. OC4J is required not the app server and installing and configuring 0C4J is not that difficult. [Quoted] Also, he is looking to the past and assuming that because 9iAS is difficult therefore it is the way it will always be. This too is untrue. [Quoted] The new Oracle Application Server 10g is as simple as 9iAS is [Quoted] challenging. He also talks about Forms 6i which is meaningless. The curent version is 9i and the 10g version will be here long before you could have anything ready to deploy. [Quoted]
  3. If you learn Forms 6i, or 9i, the learning curve to 10g will be extremely small. [Quoted]
  4. Far superior security to .NET [Quoted]
  5. Far tighter integration than .NET [Quoted]
  6. Far more sensible approach if using the database for anything other than columns and rows.
  7. Platform independence
  8. More stable
  9. More scalable [Quoted]
  10. There are several few companies that sell products that convert Oracle Forms to Java apps and Forms independence.

[Quoted]  From my experience with .NET ... I am far less than impressed. Some of the worst code I've ever seen has been in .NET. If you are going to work with SQL Server ... .NET may make sense. Against Oracle I'd definitely [Quoted] go with Forms. And if not forms I'd be looking at Delphi or other tools as my second choice.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu