Re: What's the best development tool for Oracle ?

From: B.Dimple <bdimple_at_myway.com>
Date: 11 Jan 2004 07:35:59 -0800

> Actually Oracle does have a reasonable Enterprise Data Dictionary inside its
> product Designer. In one of its previous incarnations it was even called
> CASE*Dictionary.
I tried to instal Oracle Designer about two years ago and gave up in disgust.
About six months later, I found a wonderful book called 'Oracle Web Applications 101' by Vesterli which gave you a step-by-step process but by then I'd lost interest.

> By the way, what is left of those other Enterprise Dictionaries? The IBM-one
> was called AD/Cycle, IIRC, and there was also an effort by Microsoft,
> Platinum and Rational. That was all in the mid nineties.
I was involved in a related initiative when I worked with Ingres, but I think it proved too difficult for the major vendors to agree on common standards, and so as a result, there is no vendor-independent Data Dictionary, so I'm going to develop my own Dictionary geared to my requirements, which are related to Enterprise Data Migration and Compliance,(eg Sarbanes-Oxley).

Thanks for your response.

B.Dimple Received on Sun Jan 11 2004 - 16:35:59 CET

Original text of this message