Re: What's the best development tool for Oracle ?

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 08:57:27 +0100

[Quoted] Hi. Comments inline.

[Quoted] "B.Dimple" <bdimple_at_myway.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:eb271e19.0401051452.55a1b168_at_posting.google.com...
> What's the best development tool for Oracle ?
>
> I want to develop a Data Dictionary.

Why ? Oracle has the biggest DD of all databases already delivered with the product,
just try out those some 100 vies v$xxx, user_xxx, dba_xxx, all_xxx ... I am sorry to say so, but that indicates that You do not know sufficient about Oracle ...

> I like Oracle for the backend

Good decision :) Congratulations !

>but it's difficult to decide what's the
> best choice for the development tool.

True, because there are so many from Oracle and by third parties. You can use Oracle Developer Suite or JDeveloper e.g., or other languages via ODBC.
As Thou like it ..

> I like PL/SQL for development but I'm concerned that I don't seem to
> be able to find anyone using this approach,

I would think there are not too few people doing some PL/SQL. You will find them !
You should not be afraid the the Java crowd is the only people doing programming out there :)

>such as the Dynamic PSP
> product.
>
> I'd appreciate any recommendations between PL/SQL, Dreamweaver, Cold
> Fusion, ASP, and so on.

The "hacking approach" without some kind of a concept is the worst beginning.
Please specifiy some of Your targets ("backend" is too vague). I am working at the "backend" and I am using a number of tools for different tasks.

If You just want one supercool tool for everything thinkable, we could hardly help You.

> TIA
>
> B.Dimple

hth, Jan Received on Tue Jan 06 2004 - 08:57:27 CET

Original text of this message