Re: What's the best development tool for Oracle ?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:43:18 -0800

B.Dimple wrote:
> What's the best development tool for Oracle ?
>
> I want to develop a Data Dictionary.
>
> I like Oracle for the backend but it's difficult to decide what's the
> best choice for the development tool.
>
> I like PL/SQL for development but I'm concerned that I don't seem to
> be able to find anyone using this approach, such as the Dynamic PSP
> product.
>
> I'd appreciate any recommendations between PL/SQL, Dreamweaver, Cold
> Fusion, ASP, and so on.
>
> TIA
>
> B.Dimple

[Quoted] [Quoted] The first thing that comes to mind is why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? What do you mean, exactly, by "develop a Data Dictionary"?

[Quoted] The products you list PL/SQL, Dreamweaver, Cold Fusion all do completely different things. One is the back-end procedure language, one is a front-end development tool, one is a web development tool.

[Quoted] Hopefully you are less confused about what it is you are trying to do than indicated by your post.

[Quoted] You want tool recommendations? Here's what we need to know.

  1. What is your skill set?
  2. What hardware and operating system for development and deployment?
  3. What are you trying to develop ... with specificity?
  4. What transaction size?
  5. What transaction volume?
  6. What data types?
  7. How many simultaneous users?