Collation with diacritical marks in Intermedia/Text

From: Lee <lee_at_jamtoday.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:23:24 -0500

Yes, I know, I need to "R(ead) T(he) F(riendly *cough cough)M(anual) , but I got such an encouraging response
when I asked about teaching end users some SQL, that I could bear to trust my luck one more time:

We have many small documents in various non english language sets. Lots of umlauts and accents grave and so on.

For searching, I've set up a Lexer which maps the diacriticals to their base characters, so you can search for "Fred" and get Frederique with the accent ague or whatever, no problem.

Ah, but how do we sort the little beauties (our "national language" is American English) so that the diacriticals dont fall to the bottom of the list?

I cant imagine we're the only ones who've bumped into that problem, but the friendly manuals arent shouting out the answer. I suippose the answer is in there, and I'm sure when I find the proper passage I'll have a "Doh!" moment when I realize what it was trying to tell me all along. Meanwhile, if someone here knows what I'm talking about, I would appreciate a bit of a boost.

In short, I want to sort text (unicode characters) in a system where NLS is now set to American English, in such a way that "accented" or "diacritical" characters are collated in some more friendly way than they seem to be "natively".

I dont want to sort them like "french" or "welsh" or "finnish" or any one specific language. I suppose sorting according to base character BUT displaying the accented version would be OK. Do I need a custom collation sequence ? Is there such a thing? And if so, is that a healthy pain or a no brainer or what? Any helpful advice or information would be welcome,

Thanx in advance Received on Tue Nov 25 2003 - 05:23:24 CET

Original text of this message