Re: import full vs. import all users

From: Frank <fbortel_at_nescape.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:17:51 +0100

Hans Forbrich wrote:
> Rick Denoire wrote:
>

>>Frank <fbortel_at_nescape.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Answer this: which objects belong to system?
>>>Those are the objects your import would *try* to create (recreate when
>>>packages, procedures, triggers, functions, views), but fails,
>>>because existant.
>>
>>What you are saying is that trying to import SYSTEM is completely of
>>no use. This assumes that all SYSTEM schemas are identical in all
>>Oracle databases; which could be true (that's why I am asking the
>>question), but which is not trivial and should not be assumed without
>>positive evidence.

> SYSTEM (SYS, etc) are schemas are created during database creation (see
> CATALOG.SQL) and are maintained by Oracle. The schemas are version
> dependant. There should be no reason for you to do anything to these
> schemas other than LOCK/PASSWORD.
>
> If you are making any modifications to the schemas, you risk the wrath
> of the 'gods of the ora-600'.
>
> The SYSTEM schemas should NOT necessarily be identical unless the
> database versions (down to the umpteenth digit) are identical. If you
> are trying to enforce unity acress different versions, I suspect you
> will be heading towards a meltdown.
>
> export/import ignores SYS. I suspect there may be others on the ignore
> list as well - SYSTEM likely should be one.
No - SYSTEM is in the export when the export is a full export, and done as system.

The point is - SYSTEM is not the owner of the catalog; in fact it owns about nothing - so, there's nothing in the export of system. Apart from that; import will not overwrite existing objects; it will fail (the exception being duplicate data when no PK exists).

I've done upgrades with full exp/imp as system without problems; but maybe I was lucky. Anyone cares to comment?

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel