Re: import full vs. import all users

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:49:58 GMT

[Quoted] Rick Denoire wrote:

> Frank <fbortel_at_nescape.net> wrote:
>
> >Answer this: which objects belong to system?
> >Those are the objects your import would *try* to create (recreate when
> >packages, procedures, triggers, functions, views), but fails,
> >because existant.
>
> What you are saying is that trying to import SYSTEM is completely of
> no use. This assumes that all SYSTEM schemas are identical in all
> Oracle databases; which could be true (that's why I am asking the
> question), but which is not trivial and should not be assumed without
> positive evidence.

[Quoted] SYSTEM (SYS, etc) are schemas are created during database creation (see CATALOG.SQL) and are maintained by Oracle. The schemas are version dependant. There should be no reason for you to do anything to these schemas other than LOCK/PASSWORD.

If you are making any modifications to the schemas, you risk the wrath of the 'gods of the ora-600'.

The SYSTEM schemas should NOT necessarily be identical unless the database versions (down to the umpteenth digit) are identical. If you are trying to enforce unity acress different versions, I suspect you will be heading towards a meltdown.

export/import ignores SYS. I suspect there may be others on the ignore list as well - SYSTEM likely should be one. Received on Fri Nov 21 2003 - 02:49:58 CET

Original text of this message