Re: Using DBMS_JOB and DBMS_PIPE to mimic multithreaded PL/SQL application

From: Paul Jones <paulaj16_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 18 Nov 2003 14:54:28 -0800

> BTW, why are you trying to do this?

[Quoted] [Quoted] We currently have a batch process that takes 5 hours to process around 5000 records. Not very efficient (CPU not used effectively), but the processing logic is very complex and we've already made a lot of gain by fixing the logic and SQL. However, we are performing the same logic on all 5000 records, so it stands to reason that I can increase performance if I can process more than one at a time.

The way I will do it is:
- Select 5000 records using complex SQL
- Insert these records into a table with the addition of a batch number (ie. records 1-100, batch number is 1000; records 101-200, batch number is 1001; etc)
- Spawn a child thread or job to process one batch number of 100 records. Received on Tue Nov 18 2003 - 23:54:28 CET

Original text of this message