Using DBMS_JOB and DBMS_PIPE to mimic multithreaded PL/SQL application

From: Paul Jones <paulaj16_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Nov 2003 15:47:27 -0800

Hi

I am trying to use the DBMS_PIPE and DBMS_JOB PL/SQL packages (in 8i) to write a multithreaded Oracle package. By what I understand, the psuedo-code for my main and child procedures would be something like:

PROC 1

  • Setup DBMS_PIPE package to receive messages
  • Spawn other procedure (PROC 2) multiple times using DBMS_JOB
  • Recieve messages from spawned procedures using DBMS_PIPE END PROC 1
PROC 2
  • Do processing
  • Send message to PROC 1 using DBMS_PIPE END PROC 2
What I would like is any examples of working code that anyone may have that can do just this. It does not appear too difficult but it's easier to work from an example givin that I have not done this before.

Thanks
Paul Received on Tue Nov 18 2003 - 00:47:27 CET

Original text of this message