Re: Forms 6i vs 9i

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 08:35:01 -0700

Ketil Holden wrote:

>Hi.
>
>We're considering upgrading from 8i & 6i to 9i.
>
>What in your opinion or experinence are the most significant
>improvements?
>
>-New killer features?
>-Upgrade problems with the forms themselves (this is a
>web-form-app-whatever)
>- Is the new Forms Builder more or less stable, any new great features
>here?
>
>NB! I've read the new features document.

There is not reason not to upgrade 8i to 9i other than, at this moment, you might just want to wait a few months and go directly to 10g. Either way you need to learn about those differences between 8i and subsequent versions before making the jump. Server Manager is gone, rollback on its way out and being replaced by UNDO, time to get rid of and away from dictionary managed tablespaces, and time to learn how to work with the CBO as the RBO is on its
way into obscurity. So time to learn about, if you haven't already DBMS_STATS, DBMS_XPLAN, etc.

[Quoted] With respect to the 6i to 9i upgrade the major consideration should be features of 6i that were dropped when Oracle decided to abandon client server to its competitors. Other that that the upgrade is a snap.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu