Re: Passing Parameters to Query in Query Builder

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:47:49 GMT

Chris wrote:

> All,
> I'm new to Oracle, and I have been getting familiar with Query Builder. The
> interface is pretty intuitive. The only thing I cannot figure out is how to
> create prompts for parameters to pass to the WHERE criteria. I have
> discovered how to create the parameters (name, prompt and default value),
> but I cannot figure out how to add them to the WHERE criteria text boxes (in
> the left pane of the Query window) without getting a syntax error.
>
> Valid syntax used in SQL*Plus:
>
> SELECT field FROM table WHERE field LIKE &parameter;
>
> does not seem to be valid in Query Builder, because I get a syntax error,
> with the ampersand highlighted.

[Quoted] &parameter is used for 'substituting user parameters'. The actual statement in [Quoted] pure SQL generally requires a string literal - but you can use wildcard characters (eg: % is multi-char wildcard). So you would use

SELECT field FROM table WHERE field LIKE 'ABC%';

to get anything starting with ABC (note case sensitivity).

There is a lot more described in the docco

[Quoted] You didn't notice the 'Documentation' icon at the top of the page? In any case, you can jump right into the OTN Docs area using http://docs.oracle.com, or use http://tahiti.oracle.com for a slightly different access. (Both require a valid OTN userid).

--
/Hans
[Quoted] [mailto:`echo $from" | sed "s/yahoo/telusplanet/g"`]