Re: ORA-00980, but public synonym is there (in Oracle Reports).

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:49:54 -0700

zehst01 wrote:

>I encountered an ora-00980 while running scripts to create public
>synonyms that I've used countless times in 817 and am now running them
>in 9i and am getting this message. For the life of me I could not
>figure it out. I noticed in Public | Synonyms the objects were being
>identified as being owned by SYS when in fact they were owned by another
>user. Dropping and recreating them gave no resolution. Then I decided
>to login and make sure I used UPPERCASE for the name and then also used
>UPPERCASE when I referenced the user in my script and now I am seeing
>that users name appear as the object owner under Public | Synonyms and
>my ensuing scripts that I normally run now are running properly also. I
>do not have time at this time to verify these findings but going forward
>in 9i I will be more careful to use UPPERCASE in the login window and
>script. I am wondering that even though SQL Worksheet is allowing me to
>login using lowercase the user name being referenced then is case
>sensitive so when I create the Public Synoyms they don't find the lower
>case name so it defaults to sys and then the object's owner appear sys
>in Public Synonyms when, again, they really are owned by another user.
>Anyway, this is what I will be looking closer at next time myself and
>perhaps this is something for you to look at also.
>

>Steven
>
>--

How about:

  1. What version of 9i? Give the complete information such as 9.2.0.2.
  2. Post the SQL you are using
  3. Post the name of the schema you want to have own the synonym
  4. Make sure that the CREATE PUBLIC SYNONYM has been granted to that schema.

There is no difference between 8.1.7 and 9.2.0.4 so you need to look elsewhere for the problem. And all this upper case stuff is irrelevant to the problem and its resolution.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu