Re: I can attach in SQL Server, but can I in Oracle?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:11:53 -0700

Ron Fluegge wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> Do you also criticize the non-English speaking posters as well for not using
> the "King's English"? I admitted up front that I was probably using the
> wrong terms and apologized.
>
> I hope that you haven't adopted the "French" attitude and get snobbish at
> those of us who do have difficulty in speaking Oracle.
>
> How many times do I have to apologize for being a "novice"...
>
> Ron
>
> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Ron Fluegge wrote:
> >
> > > As a follow-up let me again re-iterate, the application is fully
> functional
> > > and DOES ALREADY WORK with Oracle 8i and 9i on my development machines
> using
> > > the developer versions of them. I have both Oracle 8i running quite
> well on
> > > one development machine and Oracle 9i running on another (along with SQL
> > > Server 2000 on the same machine) -- developer versions.
> > >
> > > I readily admit that I am a developer -- not a DBA. That's the reason
> for
> > > posting the request for information here. And I have quite successfully
> > > written a single datalayer that accesses all 5 DBMS from a single source
> > > file using the managed data providers in VS.NET 2003.
> > >
> > > I have successfully created all of the Microsoft databases such that
> they
> > > can be very "easily" installed on client machines.
> > >
> > > The only thing that is lacking is the method outlined in my original
> posting
> > > to get the Oracle 8i and 9i on to the distribution CD and installed on
> the
> > > clients' machines -- hopefully without having to resort to very long SQL
> > > scripts -- because of the 5,000+ data records that have to be included
> in
> > > one of the tables.
> > >
> > > <snipped>
> >
> > If by database you mean the Oracle software ... read Oracle's license. If
> you
> > are trying to use a Microsoft term "database" to mean the equivalent
> Oracle term
> > "schema" this is done by putting the DDL used to create the objects into
> one or
> > more scripts and execute them from SQL*Plus as part of the install. Refer
> > c:\oracle\ora92\rdbms\admin\sql.bsq for an example of how this is done.
> >
> > And ... in the future ...when posting in an Oracle group .... use Oracle
> terms
> > ... not Microsoft terms. You will get more valuable answers.
> > --
> > Daniel Morgan
> > http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> > damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> > (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Acknowlding that you are not an expert is not an excuse for not reading books, [Quoted] looking at web sites, searching the google.com archives, etc. No I don't criticize those that make an honest effort.

When you misuse terms you must accept the responsibility for the responses you [Quoted] get. And the responses you saw but didn't like were a direct result of your [Quoted] misuse of the word database.

BTW: I am very familiar with the framework you are using. That does not change [Quoted] my opinion. Proceed at your own risk as the framework assumes that the person [Quoted] using it understands Oracle architecture and concepts and as you seemingly acknowledge you haven't time to study either.

--
Daniel Morgan