Re: I can attach in SQL Server, but can I in Oracle?

From: Ron Fluegge <rmflugge_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 01:46:11 GMT

Daniel,

[Quoted] Again thanks for the civil response, but I will take issue with your statement that I have not taken the time to check this out.

I have searched both Google and Deja for the topic at hand.

I have the following books on Oracle and have attempted to read them all to the extent I can:

Oracle Programming with Visual Basic
Oracle 8 -- A Beginner's Guide
Teach yourself Oracle 8 in 21 Days
Oracle 8i for Windows NT -- Starter Kit
Oracle 9i for Windows 2000 -- Tips & Techniques Oracle Essentials -- Oracle 9i, Oracle 8i & Oracle 8 Oracle 9i -- The Complete Reference

[Quoted] [Quoted] This is not counting the Oracle help and doc files installed with both 8i [Quoted] and 9i that I have searched and attempted to understand as well. I have read every MS/MDSN/Visual Studio/.NET Mag article regarding connecting with [Quoted] Oracle from the 1.0 and 1.1 versions of the Framework that I could find -- some of which were written by Oracle staff. Could I have read more? Yes.

I searched everything I could on the net, including the Oracle site without finding what I needed ... yes, it could be my fault that I didn't find the exact solution. So?

Obviously, you and many others who respond to this newsgroup are much more knowledgeable and expert than I and others who post to this newsgroup.

In response to your criticism, I have searched all that you referred to and have read as much as reasonably possible. You obviously are more expert than I in the area of Oracle.

However, I find your responses and reactions interesting to requests for help even though you have no way of knowing whether I searched or read -- or did not.

This group is no different than others I am familiar with ... some people are helpful and some are not. Some criticize the use of terms -- others, who understand, overlook the terminology issue and provide help to a person in need.

As in every software application I have ever written, I always proceed at my own risk ... BTW, you will find my "solution" to the multi-source datalayer in an upcoming developer magazine article. Hope you get a chance to read it and enjoy it.

Again, thanks for the response even though we may differ in our assessment of the situation.

Ron

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3F344A59.F44197B5_at_exxesolutions.com...
> Ron Fluegge wrote:
>
> > Daniel,
> >
> > Do you also criticize the non-English speaking posters as well for not
using

> > > If by database you mean the Oracle software ... read Oracle's license.
If
> > you
> > > are trying to use a Microsoft term "database" to mean the equivalent
> > Oracle term
> > > "schema" this is done by putting the DDL used to create the objects
into
> > one or
> > > more scripts and execute them from SQL*Plus as part of the install.
Refer
> > > c:\oracle\ora92\rdbms\admin\sql.bsq for an example of how this is
done.

> > > And ... in the future ...when posting in an Oracle group .... use
Oracle