Re: I can attach in SQL Server, but can I in Oracle?

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 22:51:41 GMT

Hi Ron Fluegge, thanks for writing this:
> Karsten,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I'll give "transportable tablespaces" a further look. I found it in several
> books that I have, but I thought that there had to be an easier way ... from
> the "novice" perspective.
>
> Again, thanks...
>
> Ron

Don't get me wrong ... there are easier ways. I just picked up on your comment about giving the data to the customer using your tablespace structure. Most of the other techniques require that your customers already have your tablespace structure in their database (or else you'd be loading your data into their "default" tablespaces, which may or may not be the most efficient). Transportable tablespaces allow your intimate knowledge of the data to carry over to the customer site without too much "fiddling" on the part of the customer.

I read some of the other posts in this thread and most of what was suggested (other than that you stop and become an Oracle expert) would require that the customer site go thru a preliminary setup stage to prepare to receive your data. For the most part, transportable tablespaces sidestep these issues. If you believe Oracle, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. :)

And btw, as one old timer to another, I've been in the IT field for a little over 40 years (they didn't call it IT back then) and with Oracle for the last 17 or so. Good for you ... staying current ... some of my old Fortran and Cobol buddies are still looking for jobs now that Y2K is over.

--
[:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g]