Re: I can attach in SQL Server, but can I in Oracle?

From: Ron Fluegge <rmflugge_at_swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 22:36:51 GMT

Thanks for the response.

I was assuming that I could include on my CDs a copy of the Oracle tablespace (hope I'm using the correct term since I've been criticized for not speaking correct Oracle) that my application requires.

That the client would then down load this "file" from the CD and merge it into their Oracle server instance (again, hope that this is the correct term) so that it would be available for connecting with in the app.

The client would then install my application itself. The reference to the Oracle instance is provided via a string in an XML file -- I have a setup app that reads the XML file and then tests the connection. If it succeeds, then it writes the "string" to the XML file. The "string" is used to create a connection string in the compile app.

You are correct that the client will not be running off of the CD.

I'll look at the export/import as well.

Again, many thanks for the help and hopefully, as you point out, if your response is not correct, that a DBA or other knowledgeable person will respond also.

Ron

"jhking" <jhking_at_airmail.net> wrote in message news:bh117e$eq5_at_library1.airnews.net...
> I am not a DBA, but perhaps this will be instructive or, alternatively,
> so stupid it causes a real DBA to pop off with the correct answer.
> Assuming any client who buys the Oracle version of your application has
> an 8i/9i instance you could always just do an exp(ort) and send them the
> exp file.
> Assuming you're a decent guy you'd tell them how your tablespaces were
> configured so s/he could do the same on his/her box.
> If I've misunderstood, and you're trying to run the application from
> your installation CD rom then (I think) there's trouble brewing.
> I know that years ago the default installation of Oracle Designer was
> delivered as an exp file that the user could imp back into a database
> so this is not just me talking out the wrong orifice.
>
> Ron Fluegge wrote:
> > As a follow-up let me again re-iterate, the application is fully
functional
> > and DOES ALREADY WORK with Oracle 8i and 9i on my development machines
using
> > the developer versions of them. I have both Oracle 8i running quite
well on

   :
   :