Re: Disabling Commit and Update

From: Alan Mills <Alan.Mills_at_xservices.pants.fujitsu.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:56:23 +0100

[Quoted] "Jim" <jim_esti_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:f0e3dc0b.0307211014.3b7ee8f1_at_posting.google.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have a basic form and a post button.
> The user is able to view and query a particular table.
>
> When the user presses the post button some calculations are done and
> the table they where looking at is updated via the post button only.
> The calculations and features behind the post button are to
> specialized and complex to do via update trigger or commit trigger.
>
> I can write the post button so that it updates the table correctly.
> What I want to do is disable the user's ability to Commit and Update
> that table via another means than that post button. When I try to add
> triggers to the block the Commit and Updates it effects the updates
> and commits I do on the POST button.
>
> How can one disable the Commit and Update keys/process and yet be able
> to do the same functionality on a button? The only way I want to let
> the user Commit or update is via this post button.
>
> Any Ideas?

Not sure I understand your problem. What functionality can you put in you WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger that you think you can;t put in the standard KEY-COMMIT trigger then?

The work should all be in packages and procedures and then called from anywhere necessary, i.e. both triggers mentioned above.

If it's simply a required to 'disable' the commit key then define the KEY-COMMIT trigger to do nothing. Assuming your using a standardmenu it will effectively disable that too. Better still, remove the commit option from the menu as well.

The other thing that occurs to me is that standard commit processing is not required by you because you are trying to bypass it by placing DML code directly into your WBP trigger. Although this works, it is not normally recommended and you asre advised to rethink your strategy (if this is what you're doing) to use the standard commit phase triggers for you DML. Received on Tue Jul 22 2003 - 10:56:23 CEST

Original text of this message