Re: Oracle Forms tutorial

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:56:11 -0700

nimonic wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
>
> > Not heirarchy. Not a question of which triggers fire in what order though that would be a perfectly good
> > example of where almost every bit of Forms documentation fails. Rather ... if I want to use a trigger to
> > modify a behavior ... how do I get the trigger to perform is normal function before, or after, the code I've
> > put into the trigger.
> >
> > As I've said ... the ability to look up solutions to real-world issues ... is virtually non-existant in every
> > book I've seen. I could give ten, twenty, fifty, different examples of basic things a Forms developer might
> > wish to look up and would be unable to find an answer in any of the currently available books. Here are a two
> > more from a very long list.
> >
> > What are the built-in environment variables for trapping error conditions?
> > What are the built-in environment variables for identifying the current block, item, etc.
>
> Ok I think your talking about On Triggers. On Triggers replace default
> processing. To perform the default processing you use the associated
> built-in.
>
> Example: To bypass the default logon processing use an On-logon
> trigger. Then to perform the default logon use the LOGON built in (you
> will have to look in the forms help for the right built-in).
>
> Your right, forms is a complicated beast and difficult to document.

My point is that there aren't any books out there that allow one to research how to perform basic functionality.

The contents of the books may be acceptable if read cover-to-cover. But the ability to use them as reference material is a huge zero.

I stand by dissing all of them.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu