Re: Oracle Forms tutorial

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:34:16 -0700

nimonic wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3F084AFA.72AD1A6A@exxesolutions.com>...
>
> > My comment was generic, not specific, as I don't have Kolezke's book.
> >
> > Do me a favor though if you wouldn't mind ... look up in the index and table of
> > contents how to make a trigger perform its default behavior before executing your
> > code vs. executing your trigger code in place of its default behavior. Please let
> > me
> > know how, or if, they index this topic. Thanks.
> >
> > My problem with most of these books, no make it all of them, is that the books are
> > fine while you are reading them cover to cover but useless for looking up how to do
> > something after that initial read.
>
> Interesting question. I can't seem to find the answer in any of my
> Forms documentation. But I'm not sure if I understand the question.
> Are you referring to Trigger Execution Hierarchy?

[Quoted] [Quoted] Not heirarchy. Not a question of which triggers fire in what order though that would be a perfectly good example of where almost every bit of Forms documentation fails. Rather ... if I want to use a trigger to modify a behavior ... how do I get the trigger to perform is normal function before, or after, the code I've put into the trigger.

As I've said ... the ability to look up solutions to real-world issues ... is virtually non-existant in every book I've seen. I could give ten, twenty, fifty, different examples of basic things a Forms developer might wish to look up and would be unable to find an answer in any of the currently available books. Here are a two more from a very long list.

What are the built-in environment variables for trapping error conditions? What are the built-in environment variables for identifying the current block, item, etc.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu