Re: Anybody using warehouse builder?

From: John <jbradshaw777_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Jun 2003 14:47:55 -0700

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message

> Warehouse Builder is part of the Oracle9i Developer Suite.
>
> One of your questions is whether they are getting license revenue - since
> it is bundled with the suite (including Forms Dev, Reports Dev,
> Discoverer Admin, JDeveloper, Warehouse Builder, Designer/CASE, Source
> Code Management, etc.) I suspect they will not (can not?) detail the
> revenue stream.
>
> Although you should check with Oracle for confirmation, I understand that
> the ability to deploy the resulting ETL flows as well as maintain
> versioning for the source/transform/target metadata & creating the
> source/transform/target physical tables is included in the database
> license fee. If true, Oracle could not break the relevant revenue out for
> deployment either.
>
> In answer to the question "is it more trouble than it's worth?" - the more
> you learn about it, the more value you get out of it. Ramp up (like with
> most Oracle product) tends to be steep, but the paypack tends to be very
> high.
>
> Truth in advertising: I do not use it in production ... I'm a consultant
> & do recommend it to my customers, some of whom have purchased it, are
> using it in production, and seem satisfied (based on them asking me back
> for more discussion).
>
> Reasons for using it include: low cost, flexibilty, ability to link in
> stuff like message queues, restartability, visual design, metadata
> (including dimensions, versioning, leverage database extensions (such as
> external tables), and ability to extend transforms the way I want.
>
> /Hans

[Quoted] You mean I have to buy the whole suite, not any single product within the suite? Is anybody still using FORM or Report? I thought JDeveloper is free?

[Quoted] Do you know why I need a access user for runtime repository? What is it for? What's the difference between development, QA and production option - you know when you create an ORACLE module? What happens when you deploy a single element in a module, a mapping for example? How do I make the ETL flow work? actually forget about the flow. How do I do something as simple as loading from a flat file into a table - I am even talking about job scheduling yet. Are you sure OWB really works?

  • John