Re: Anybody using warehouse builder?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:20:40 GMT

John wrote:

> You mean I have to buy the whole suite, not any single product within
> the suite? Is anybody still using FORM or Report? I thought JDeveloper
> is free?

Illiteracy reigns forever!

Look at http://otn.oracle.com/products/ids/content.html and http://oraclestore.oracle.com. (While you are there, check the license agreement for JDeveloper.)

> Do you know why I need a access user for runtime repository? What is
> it for? What's the difference between development, QA and production
> option - you know when you create an ORACLE module? What happens when
> you deploy a single element in a module, a mapping for example? How do
> I make the ETL flow work? actually forget about the flow. How do I do
> something as simple as loading from a flat file into a table - I am
> even talking about job scheduling yet. Are you sure OWB really works?

Much of this is discussed in the documentation & at http://otn.oracle.com/products/warehouse/content.html

Sounds like you might be expecting the modern developer's approach - load it, point & click, then up, up and away! As I said in my original: put in the effort to get anything out - the initial ramp up is steep! (The effort starts with reading.)

You just might want to refer to the Oracle By Example section (see "Sample Code" on the page indicated). They actually have step-by-step examples for

     How to use a CASE Statement as a Transformation
     How to Load External Tables
     Slowly Changing Dimensions in OWB
     Warehouse Builder Sample Metadata

Complete with pictures, too. Your 'loading flat files' one is the second example listed.

And yes - it does work.

/Hans Received on Thu Jun 19 2003 - 01:20:40 CEST

Original text of this message