Re: ID's in a table

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 15:02:51 -0700

LouisD wrote:

> I understand that when you create a table the ID column is a numerical
> sequence. How can I get the ID prefixed with a letter every time record is
> saved so the the ID will always have a single pretermined alphabet preceding
> the ID numbers
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Louis

You MISunderstand several things.

First there are no ID columns in Oracle. What database, if any, do you have experience with?

[Quoted] Second what you are suggesting is a total, complete, and malicious violation of [Quoted] relational integrity.

Explain what you are trying to accomplish and I, or someone else, will help you [Quoted] with the proper way to accompish it.

Right now all you are making is an ugly mess.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu